Bits’n’bobs (of which at least two are important for your continued wellbeing)



A week or so ago I had a bout of Plague and so got behind with all sort of stuff, including my blog reading. Most importantly, from a time sensitive point of view, is the announcement that the latest edition of Wargame Blogger’s quarterly is now available from here:



Given my last post, paramount in this edition is Nathan Vinson’s article on wargaming the Sudan.

Probably more important in the grand scheme of things is the impending start of Curt’s Analogue Hobbies’ 5th Annual Painting Challenge



 in which a number of individuals on the verge of insanity set themselves impossibly high painting targets which are to be achieved during the period of the Challenge. The ‘Analogue Hobbies’ blog is a great read and a tribute to Curt who must work like a demon to keep on top of things. The Challenge is a great way of clearing the painting back log or of progressing a new or stalled project, but it’s not for the faint hearted. Hard work aside, the amount of barracking that goes on during the competition is fantastic. Not for those of a nervous disposition or for people like me who have will power with the breaking strain of a Cadbury’s Flake.

A really nice surprise birthday present was announced on the day when Chris told me she’d bought me one of the poppies from the display at the Tower of London.



More than a little pleased with this as a significant acquisition and because the money goes to the Royal British Legion and other forces charities.

By way of a little treat for myself I’ve bought another copy of Joseph Heller’s ‘Catch22’.



This is my God knows how many’th copy as I’ve recommended it to people so many times and given them my copy, it’s probably where they got the ‘book crossing’ idea from. If you haven’t read it, do so, but buy your own damn’ copy. It’s one of the books I’ll take on the longboat trip to Valhalla.

Finally, just heard on the radio that one of Boney’s nineteen surviving hats, this one, said to have been worn by him at Marengo, has been sold at auction for £1.4million to a South Korean.

Bet he just pipped Edwin King to the post . . . .;O)

Comments

  1. Never read Catch 22??? And nice one Chris, getting one of the poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just one of those books, if youknow what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gary. Thanks for the shout out for WBQ2. Your link seems to be broken unfortunately mate. The correct URL is http://goo.gl/X0wdsk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great score on that Poppy, watched Catch 22 but not red the book

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, a man after my own heart!

    ;O)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment