Short, fat and unassuming, I have extended the boundaries of indifferent posting and spurious comment within the interweb community to previously unimagined levels of banality. This has been achieved without fear of ridicule or retribution. So if you're interested in thought patterns that tumble around the inside of my head like old underpants in a washing machine, this is the blog for you. Read it and weep.
There's a long, long road a winding . . . (sorry!)
on from my last post about cheap trees and the OS approach to
wargaming (that's Old School, not Ordnance Survey), last weekend I
knocked out some roads for my 25/28mm armies. Simple, but laborious
and not to be carried out in the vicinity of cats.
Lee Abbott (see the 'Daywalker' blog, left, for interesting goodies)
and I were discussing road construction (model, not McAlpine) and he
pointed me in the direction of the Pound Shop. They sell packs of
floor tiles for a pound each (really?), four to a pack, each a foot
square. “Not round here, I bet,” thinks I. Now for funny bit
number one: my wife called in to one such emporium the day after and
reported the did sell said tiles. My response? “How much are they?”
She just stared at me in disbelief.
is that I've not been feeling all that well lately, but last Saturday
I braved the arctic winds (we never get snow round here) and trotted
off to the 'mall' (ugh!) and copped for three packs – at three road
sections to the tile, that's twelve feet or road per pack, so I
envisaged twenty four feet of road sections, plus odds'n sods:
curves, junctions and the like. This should be ample as I've had a
shufty at plenty of battle maps in my time and AWI/ACW engagements
aren't likely to rival the Western European road network. Roads are
even relatively modestly represented on Napoleonic maps, so good oh.
important bit: even though I had to buy a tub of B&Q emulsion –
'Hana' – to do the base coat for the ground work, the whole scheme
came in at about £14, allowing for the virtually free sand and the
PVA glue. Straightforward job:
cut to size, sand on the adhesive side of the tiles, then base coat,
highlight and flock. Anyone should be capable of that. I had a blast
making them because it brought back memories of the good old days
(see previous post).
are 4” wide overall, which is made up of a 3” road with grass
verges and, although I was a little concerned they might be too wide,
they look good with units on them. I'm thinking of revisiting this project because, as you've probably noticed, other than a few curves the roads are decidedly 'Roman'. I reckon another box of tiles and plenty of curves and such ought to do the trick. I only had one 'casualty' (funny
bit number two – to me anyway) which was a 6” section of tile
the bloody cat sat on. Who wants a cat hair road? The cat's got a
sore backside though, so all was not wasted.
you go. Some shockingly bad photos follow, but please don't tell me
you need detailed photographs of a road! Actually, after I'd finished
them I realised that they look unnervingly like the footpaths on the
Pennine Way, with little patches of grass growing between outstanding
rocks. Sign of a miss spent youth, I suppose.
The total job. By the way, the 'cat' to the left of the table isn't the one in question: it's a book from Little H's growing library!
This is about as close as you get to the actual colour scheme. The other photographs are even worse.
get a last one in before 2017 ended and the world went to pot again,
but I've managed to keep up my batting average and missed it
completely. Nothing that exciting to report, but I have been quietly
plodding along, knocking out old stuff that should've been finished
(or started) long ago. Still, the real world things that kept me
diverted last year (and before, if I'm honest) have now subsided, but
the leprosy returned during the late summer/autumn (back on the
tablets now, thank God) and that didn't do much for hobby effort or
Back on track now though and, as Christmas and New Year are
out of the way, it ought to be a Montgomery style advance, but on a
broad front with lots of distractions. Since the
previous post, my butterfly approach has served to divert my
attention in all sorts of ways. As a sort of side order while I was
painting other stuff, I decided to start experimenting with colours
and techniques for the landsknechts I've accumulated. …
got over the mother of all colds with just a cough like a sixty a day
man to shake off now. However, I've done a bit of dabbling – mostly
touching up – and a bit of a stock take. At my present rate of
knots I'll be about 170 when I get everything up to date and tickety
boo with the existing projects, which makes me wonder what to do
about it. Being essentially a solo gamer, I have to build both sides
to a conflict. This is no big problem because before I went back into
the closet, I still tended to hanker after periods which weren't, for
those days, mainstream. I
got through the Ancients itch which was only finally killed off
primarily by pretty tedious rules that seemed to be engineered to
design out the 'rule lawyers', but then by reflecting on the
character of many of the opponents I met. Everything seemed to be a
clone of the latest WRG thinking (still is to an extent) and quite a
few of the players knew lots about the rule mechanisms and precious